Thursday, December 24, 2009

Hey I used that license, too

Was amused by Evan's take on JSMin's software license. Apparently all of Crockford's work includes the clause "The software shall be used for Good, not Evil" in addition the standard MIT license text.

I think at one point I saw this, internalized it, and spat it back out as "This code is public domain. Please use it for good, not evil."

I know that this stuff is really serious business to some people, and they get frustrated by these random acts of frivolity. "Don't you know," they say with a stern face, "software licenses are no place for fun and games".

Pfffft. The license is awesome. I appreciated the joke when I first saw it, and am appreciating the ongoing humor it is providing.

I do see how it would prevent some organizations from using the code. Mostly those that have become large, risk-averse, and so disconnected from the community that they are actually, honestly afraid that Crockford is going to come after them for using JSMin for evil.

Sadly, Google apparently now falls into that bucket.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Please" is legit, and I think it's cool. My favorite is the SQLite license/blessing:

"The author disclaims copyright to this source code. In place of a legal notice, here is a blessing:
May you do good and not evil.
May you find forgiveness for yourself and forgive others.
May you share freely, never taking more than you give."

What more could you ask for?


If you're ever in the mood to hear me rant about something I care a lot about, I'll explain to you why the JSmin thing is very different.

Anonymous said...

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?